Provides crucial infrastructure improvements in Scunthorpe town centre; Supports new developments in Church Square; Improved pedestrian and cycling links across the town centre
“A strong town centre is essential in helping attract investors, employers and residents. North Lincolnshire Council is delighted that the Greater Lincolnshire LEP has secured Growth Deal funding to support road improvements in and around Church Square. This will help with our long-term vision for a vibrant town centre. The council is investing heavily and working with other organisations to deliver two new office complexes that will create jobs and bring more people into the town. With a good range of shops, free parking and award-winning arts venue on the doorstep, there is every reason be in the town centre.”
By Cllr Rob Waltham, Leader, North Lincolnshire Council
This project will deliver road infrastructure and highways access improvements to enable the transformation of Scunthorpe Town Centre. The area concerned includes the University Technical College, a cultural quarter, office hubs, entertainment/leisure zone and residential accommodation.
The total investment required for the regeneration of the Town Centre is estimated to be in the region of £60 million, for which some of the work and investment has already been completed:
- The Humber University Technical College (UTC), specialising in renewable energy and engineering, invested £11million in a new educational facility for 14-19 year olds, which completed in 2015.
- Refurbishment of Scunthorpe Library, providing an integrated service building that allows the local community to access work and improve their skills levels.
- Phase 1 of the LEP funding centred on the establishment of a business core, creating a civic, learning and business quarter within Church Square
The Phase 2 GLLEP funding has contributed specifically towards:
- Highways access and road infrastructure improvements to support the surrounding developments increased demands and the additional capacity as a result. This will also improve the key gateway features when travelling from the north and south, as well as encouraging the use of a circulatory route around the town centre.
- Delivery of the Church Square House extension to facilitate an additional 600 council staff in the town centre.
- Purchase of a 5348 sq m site to bring a vacant commercial building back into use and release land for re-development, improving the offer to local businesses and diversifying the available options in the local area.
- Enhancements to Scunthorpe High Street Public Realm to Foundry Square to create an attractive, vibrant and welcoming environment to increase investment and visitor attraction.
Scunthorpe Town Centre redevelopment has been identified as a strategically important project for both Scunthorpe and the wider North Lincolnshire area given the role and function of the town. The scheme has already levered £5.8m of private sector investment, and will result in the construction of 8,704 sq. m. of commercial new and refurbished floorspace, as well as creating 790 new jobs and safeguarding 150.
Contact email@example.com on 01724 297465 for further information