A strategic highway junction improvement which will open up business growth opportunities in the vicinity and improve infrastructure that is heavily relied upon by the agri-food sector and its associated supply chain of businesses located in south of the Greater Lincolnshire area.
The Sutterton roundabout pinch point scheme originated from the A15\A16\A17 Routes Action Plan completed in April 2015. As part of a number of interventions in the longer term, this improvement and enhancement of a strategic road route on the A17 will enable enhanced transport links for the Agri–Food sector; will reduce congestion; and will improve access on to the A17 road network. Works are now completed on this project and monitoring of its impact has commenced.
The A17 comprises of a single carriageway at the junction of the A16/A17 Roundabout to the south of Boston, and acts as an important transport interchange for an employment sector for the Greater Lincolnshire area. Economic success is vital in this key area, and its potential will only be achieved with strategic infrastructure investment, that will allow sites and premises to be marketed that are capable of immediate development.
The scheme included the following works:
- Widening of both A16 exits, and resurfacing both for the lengths of the widening
- New kerb and footway alignments
- Changes to traffic signs and road markings
- Changes to street lighting
- Widening of the A17 (W) approach, and resurfacing of the approach for the length of the widening
- Widening of the A16 (N) approach from the filling station egress, and resurfacing of the approach for the length of the widening
- Widening of the A16 (S) approach, and resurfacing of the approach for the length of widening
- Resurfacing of the roundabout
The scheme aims to enable up to 240 jobs and over 1000 new homes in the area.